Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bean Night

It's Wednesday, which means it's bean night at my house. I like cooking beans, they are an incredibly versatile and nutritious food. They are also incredibly cheap. Following is one of my favorite recent creations. I will not claim that it is a new or terribly original idea. Truth is, none of my recipes/cooking ideas are. But, I hope that my inspirations will also inspire you. Anyway, here it is:

White Bean Chili

1/2 pound white beans
2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
2 teaspoons oil
1 poblano chile pepper*, minced
1 Anaheim chile pepper*, minced
1 bell pepper, minced
1 onion. diced
4 cloves garlic, minced fine/crushed
chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Pick through the beans for shriveled beans, odd beans and small rocks, dirt etc. Soak the white beans in 2 quarts of water overnight. Drain and rinse. Set aside. In a non reactive pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add chicken and sautee unil it begins to brown. Add in the vegetables and sautee until wilted. Add in the beans and enough chicken stock to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a brisk boil and boil for 10 minutes. Cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce to a simmer. Cook until beans are tender, stirring occasionally and adding stock as needed. Taste for salt and pepper and add as needed.
*If you would like a hotter chili, use a hotter pepper.

No comments: