Saturday, January 10, 2009

Gardening

I love to garden. I'm really not physically able to get down in the dirt to do it much, but I have a nice little container garden on my back porch. This year a friend of mine says I can use her house and yard and that she will help me with it. I'm so excited! I've been getting all kinds of seed catalogs and my little 4 plant garden is becoming a farm. I want to plant everything I see! Tomatoes, peppers, peas, green beans, okra, cucumbers, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, zucchini, yellow squash, pumpkin and eggplant. These are the things I am thinking of and would like to plant. I would really like to go organic, so that what I plant depends on what organic seeds I can get. My friend and I also like to can, so we're looking at things that are easy to put up. I just love the way fresh vegetables look. They're so pretty and colorful and can really make a dish. I really enjoyed doing it this past summer with just my little containers, so I'm really looking forward to having a real garden.

2 comments:

rebel said...

I'm happy for you bein' able to have a place for a garden this year. We put a garden out every year and it never ceases to amaze me that you can get a lot out of a small area. I started out small and it seems that I put out more and more each year. I like cannin' too. It makes me feel proud to look at all of my canned goods. It is so much better for my family too. Once you have home canned green beans it's hard to go back to commercially canned ones. I also put some stuff in the freezer. I was just tellin' my husband that we need another freezer. I want to put out more this summer! Have fun lookin' through your seed catalogs.

Unknown said...

I know! If I were able, I'd be planting at least an acre. I miss being able to do that sort of thing, but my knees and back just don't let me do it anymore. Ah well! I'll take what I can get. I feel the same way about canning and freezing. It makes me feel really proud and accomplished to see my jars of apple butter or tomatoes all lined up and to know that it was something I made. I'm pretty sure I've decided to order from seed savers, I just like the idea of planting organic heirloom vegetables.