Saturday, November 8, 2008

Jambalaya

Another Cajun recipe. I love Cajun food. It's kind of in my blood. These recipes are comforting to me. I think of family, home and good times. I remember my grandmother making gumbo every year for Christmas. Everybody saved their leftover turkeys from thanksgiving and we would bring them over to her. It was always the best gumbo of the year. I don't remember my grammy making jambalaya, but my mom did. Here is a quick recipe for it.

Jambalaya
2 chicken quarters
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
2 tablespoons oil
salt
pepper
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cups rice
4 cups chicken broth

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. In large pot, heat the oil. Brown the chicken in the oil. Set aside. Brown the sausage in the drippings and set aside with the chicken. Add the vegetables to the pot and sautee just until wilted. Add the rice and broth. Add the chicken and sausage back to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover tightly and simmer until chicken is cooked through and the rice is done. Serve hot.

2 comments:

rebel said...

What a nice blog. I like the cajun recipes.

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Love cajun recipes. Never had Jambalaya but I didn't think it was so simple, I thought you needed like 40 ingredients (I think it's something to do with the word "Jambalaya")