|Chicken and white bean chili photo copyright Christy Pringle|
Make it fast tip: Use a store-bought rotisserie chicken and canned beans. Make sure to drain and rinse the beans well. Using these already prepared items will cut the cooking time down to only about 30 minutes.
White bean Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ¼ - ½ cup diced green chilis
- 1 pound of mayocoba beans, soaked overnight in water
- 3 cups of diced cooked chicken
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- water or (low sodium) chicken broth to cover, about 2 quarts or to cover
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large pot. Add in the onions, garlic and peppers. Cook the vegetables until the are softened. Add in the rest of the ingredients, and bring to a boil. Let the mixture boil for about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low-medium low and let simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the beans are tender. Serve with cornbread, tortillas or spoonbread.