A note about the rum... I chose Prichards because A) It's good.. reeeeeally good and B) He's local and I try to support local products.
- 1 package of cake mix(white, yellow, orange or lemon)
- 1 package unsweetened lemonade mix (Kool-Aid)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup frozen Bacardi margarita mix, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Prichards rum (why is the rum always gone?!?)
- 2 tablespoons triple sec
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Prichards rum
- 1 tablespoon triple sec
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan and set it aside. Combine the cake ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Mix your cake ingredients together for five minutes with an electric mixer on medium speed. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake towards the middle of the oven for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. While the cake is baking, mix up the soaking syrup ingredients. When the cake comes out of the oven, and while it is still hot, poke holes all over the to of it using a chopstick, skewer, straw or whatever you have handy that will poke holes. Pour the syrup evenly over the top. Refrigerate overnight. Before serving, spread whipped cream or whipped topping over the top. Garnish with some lime wedges and/or strips of lime zest.